Former Director of the Von Hügel Institute
Emeritus Fellow of St Edmund's College
Emeritus Professor of European Politics, Cardiff University
Professor John Loughlin joined the Fellowship of St Edmund’s College in 2010 and was the Director of the Von Hügel Institute until September 2015. He is a Senior Fellow of theand an emeritus Professor of European Politics at Cardiff University. He has been appointed to the in 2013-14 and he has held Visiting Professorships and Fellowships in Oxford, Paris, Florence and Princeton, at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, the University of Umeå, Sweden, and the Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Aix-en-Provence. In 2010, the French Government appointed him an Officier dans L'Ordre des Palmes Académiques in recognition of his contribution to the spread of the French language and culture and his contribution to research on European politics. In 2009, the University of Umeå in Sweden awarded him an honorary doctorate in recognition of his research on European politics and territorial governance. He is an Academician of the UK's Academy of Social Sciences (AcSS), a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (RHistS), of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) and of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. In 2014 he was appointed a Fellows of the Learned Society of Wales.
Prof Loughlin has carried out extensive research on territorial politics in Europe and on the relationship between religion and politics. He spent several years as a Cistercian monk at Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey, Portglenone in Northern Ireland where he carried out the usual studies for the priesthood in philosophy, theology and biblical studies. His current projects are on: Catholic Social teaching and the Big Society, religious freedom in international affairs, and the role of religious NGOs in the United Nations. He is also working at the Madison Trust funded project on the implications of the financial crisis on European federalism. He has been an expert for the Council of Europe and UN-Habitat and he has acted as an advisor to the UK government, the Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies, the French Senate, and the EU’s Committee of the Regions.
- 2014. "Religion and Politics in Europe", in José Magone (ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Comparative Politics. Routledge, London.
- 2014. "The Theological and Secular Dimensions of the Modern State: historical and contemporary perspectives", in Ferran Requejo and Camil Ungureanu (eds), Secular or Post-secular Democracies in Europe? The Challenge of Religious Pluralism in the 21st Century, Routledge, London.
- 2013. Loughlin, J. Allott, P., Crellin, R., The UK Government's 'Big Society' Programme and Catholic Social Teaching, Matthew James Publishing.
- 2013. The Routledge Handbook of Regionalism and Federalism (ed. with J. Kincaid and W. Swenden), Routledge.
- 2013. "Reconfiguring the Nation-State: Hybridity vs. Uniformity”, in J. Loughlin et al., (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Regionalism and Federalism. London: Routledge, pp. 3-18.
- 2012. Which Path to Religious Freedom? A Catholic Perspective on International Affairs. Research report commissioned by the Caritas in Veritate Foundation (pdf).
- 2010. (ed. with F. Hendriks and Anders Lidström) The Oxford Handbook of Subnational Democracy in Europe (Oxford University Press)
- 2007. Subnational Government: the French Experience. Macmillan Palgrave.
- 2007. (with M. Bogdani) Albania and the European Union: The Tumultuous Journey to Integration and Accession. London: I B Tauris.
- 2007. (ed. with K. Deschouwer) The Transformation of Territorial Governance in the 21st Century. Brussels: Flemish Academy of Belgium for Arts and Sciences.
- 2006. (ed. with D. Hanley)Spanish Political Parties. Cardiff: Wales University Press.
- 2003. (with M. Keating and K. Deschouwer) Culture, Institutions and Regional Development: a Study of Eight European Regions. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- 2003. (ed. with A. Delcamp) La décentralisation dans les Etats de l'Union européenne, Coll. Les Etudes. Paris: La Documentation Française.
- 2002. Hanley, D., Loughlin, J. "Eglise, Etat et société dans le monde méditerranéen", in Pôle Sud, Vol. 17, pp. 3-7.
- 2002. (guest editor with D. Hanley) Religion et Politique. Special Issue of Pôle Sud. Revue de Science Politique de l'Europe Méridionale.
- 2001. Subnational Democracy in the European Union: Challenges and Opportunities. Oxford University Press.
- 1999. (ed. with C. Olivesi and F. Daftary). Autonomies Insulaires: vers une politique de différence pour la Corse. Ajaccio: Albiana.
- 1997. (ed. with M. Keating) The Political Economy of Regionalism London: Routledge.
- 1995. (ed. with S. Mazey) The End of the French Unitary State? Ten Years of Regionalization in France. London: Frank Cass Ltd.