Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Ottawa
Research Fellow at Las Casas Institute, Oxford
Thana joined the Von Hügel Institute in 2014. Since 2015 she is an adjunct professor at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law (Common Law Section), and a research fellow at GSL (Global Strategy Lab). She holds a DPhil in law (Jurisprudence) from the University of Oxford. Before coming to Oxford, Thana completed a MPhil in International Law at the University of Sao Paulo, where she has also lectured Public International Law. Her book, Transnational Corporations and Human Rights – Pharmaceutical Corporations as a Case Study (in Portuguese, Ed. Forum, 2012) discusses what kind of moral responsibilities pharmaceutical firms have in relation to the human right to health. The book focuses on the debates within the United Nations, particularly within the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, where she carried out research work in 2008. Thana is the co-chair of the ASAP-Brazil (the Brazilian chapter of the international association Academics Stand Against Poverty - ASAP that aims to help academics enhance their impact on poverty); she is also the Right to Health Research Group coordinator at ASAP-Brazil.
Thana’s broad research interests are in jurisprudence, international law, and human rights, with particular interests in global justice, institutional reforms, intellectual property rights and the human right to health. Thana works on a project addressing the following question: to what extent is it legitimate to limit the intellectual property rights of pharmaceutical companies and academia for the sake of remedying what she calls the Global Health Crisis – a public health issue that afflicts only or mainly the poorest populations in the world. Her research attempts to propose legal solutions (particularly in the realm of intellectual property rights) to critical moral issues surrounding the Global Health Crisis, from the perspective of Catholic Social Teaching, aiming to inform a Catholic institutional policy in the international law arena. At the VHI Thana is working on a project focused on the definition of health and well being.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de, Empresas Transnacionais e Direitos Humanos – As Empresas Farmaceuticas como objeto de estudo (Transnational Corporations and Human Rights – Pharmaceutical Companies as the Object of Study, in Portuguese), Sao Paulo, Ed. Forum, 2012, 274 pages.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de, The Well-being Conception of Health, and the Conflation Problem. The New Bioethics 2015; 22(1), 2016, 71-81.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de, The Idea of Patents vs. the Idea of University. The New Bioethics 2015; 21(2), 2015, 164-176.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de; POGGE, Thomas (editors), Introduction, in The Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, 40, Summer 2012, 183-187.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de, Health as a Basic Health Need – Would this be enough?, in The Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, 40, Summer 2012, 251-267.
- ROSINA, Monica S. G., WANG, Daniel W., CAMPOS, Thana C. de, Access to Medicines: Pharmaceutical Patents and the Right to Health, In SHAVER, Lea (ed), Access to Knowledge in Brazil, Information Society Project, New Haven, CT, Yale Law School, 2010, pp. 165-230.
- CAMPOS, Thana C. de, Neglected Diseases, Access to Medicines, and Access to Knowledge, guest post in Critical Twenties – Coming of Age in India, 12 October 2010. Available at: http://www.criticaltwenties.in/lawthejudiciary/neglected-diseases-access-to-medicines-and-access-to-knowledge
- SPAGNOL, Antonio S., CAMPOS, Thana C. de, (et al), Diagnóstico Nacional sobre a Situação dos Defensores de Direitos Humanos (National Diagnostic on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders, in Portuguese), São Paulo, ANDHEP- Associação Nacional de Direitos Humanos, Ensino e Pós-Graduação, 2009.
- CAMPOS, Thana Cristina de, Doenças Negligenciadas, Pobreza e Exclusão Social: mera coincidência geográfica? (Neglected Diseases, Poverty and Social Exclusion: a mere geographical coincidence?, in Portuguese), In Revista da Faculdade de Direito USP, São Paulo, v. 103, 2008.
- CAMPOS, Thana Cristina de, A Licença Compulsória de Medicamentos como Política Publica de Saúde (Compulsory Licensing of Medicines as a Public Heath Policy, in Portuguese), In Revista da Faculdade de Direito USP, São Paulo, v. 102, 2007.
- CAMPOS, Thana Cristina de, GUISE, Monica Rosina; WANG, Daniel; Patentes e medicamentos: uma questão de acesso ao conhecimento. in DeCita: Derecho del comercio internacional: temas y actualidades, Fundação Boiteux, Assunção, 01 out. 2009, p. 140 - 149.
- CAMPOS, Thana Cristina de, BARRETO FILHO, Jose Augusto, POGGE, Thomas; Democratizar a Insdustria Famaceutica, in Folha de Sao Paulo, caderno ‘Tendencias e Debates’, 23 jan. 2014.